RE: A case for Pre-Depends?

> No.  This is a general problem which has yet to be solved.  It is not
> really the responsibility of the library package to say "I am only
> useful for package X".  And a Pre-Depends won't be useful.  Just have
> icu depending on the library package and leave it at that.  Note also
> that libicu16 should probably be called libicu1.6 instead.

I wish I could call it libicu1 and then have a libicu.so.1.6. But ICU's
version numbering policy is that *both* the major and minor versions of the
library are significant as far as binary compatibility goes. So
libicu.so.1.6 and libicu.so.1.7 would be binary incompatible, and because of
the libicu.so.1 symlink and soname everybody would get confused. I see two
solutions to that:

- Multiply ICU's version number by 10 (what is done right now).
- Use a soname which both major and minor. But I'm not sure how well that
would work, including on other platforms, and it'd be confusing too.

So I chose the first solution, which is what made the ICU guys happy, and
let us have bice symlinks. But if having a soname libicu.so.1.6 and then a
symlink libicu.so.1 works well when libicu.so.1.7 (w/ soname libicu.so.1.7)
is shipped, I can do that. Anybody knows if that'd break on Solaris, HPUX,
AIX, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OS/390, AS/400, etc?

YA