A case for Pre-Depends?

OK, I have this package, libicu16, which contains libraries only. The
libraries are not really useful w/o the data contained in the icu package,
but it is reasonable to expect later libraries to work w/ the same data,
hence the separation. Also, the icu package has binaries which depend on
libicu16.

Right now I have libicu16 suggests icu, but I'd really would like to express
something like:

Package: libicu16
Depends: icu (>= 1.6.0.1)

since if one drops icu, libicu16 isn't very useful. but then I also have:

Package: icu
Depends: libicu16 (>= 1.6.0.1)

Is Pre-Depends a help for me here? Should icu Pre-Depends on libicu16, or
the opposite?

YA
--
My opinions do not necessarily reflect my company's.
The opposite is also true.