Re: rpath (was Re: Two questions about policy)

Yves Arrouye wrote:

>> This is what I had in mind,
>>
>>     /usr/lib/regina0/       -> contains scripts (external rexx functions),
>>                                 e.g. http/ftp modules, Tk modules, &c
>>     /usr/lib/regina0/libs/  -> the packages would drop their libs in here
>>
>> I guess on a package purge check if the libs directory is empty
>> and then remove the ld.so.conf entry. rpath seems cleaner though.
>>
>> I saw a followup about the libc5 -> libc6 problem but I don't think
>> this is a problem with function libs/plugins is it?
>
> If all the packages depend on a base package (and I am sure they do), the
> base could be the one modifying ld.so.conf and that would then be done only
> once.

Yeah, I talked to the Regina maintainer about this.  He's happier
leaving the libs in /usr/lib rather than using rpath so I guess
he'd feel the same about modifying ld.so.conf.

I've set up the sub-directory for external functions/modules
anyhow so I thought I'd investigate this a bit.

That's why my initial follow-up on rpath.  I haven't found
anything specific in the archives about why rpath would be a
problem in this case; just that many have the impression that
it can cause problems and should be avoided.  I still have the
discussion about plugins in -policy to catch up on though.

Rick