RE: Two questions about policy

> > 1. I see no mention on rpath in the policy manual (grepping
> through all the
> > .html files) yet lintian issues a warning about it. I'm
> asking because I'm
> > packaging something that uses rpath heavily.
> >
> rpath hardcodes an item's location.  If this item later
> moves, everything using
> it gets confused.  rpath is generally frowned upon.

OK. I'll use LD_LIBRARY_PATH=xxxx everywhere during the build then. Any
other option?

> > 2. The manual says that one should use -D_REENTRANT when
> building libraries.
> > Only libraries? Can I be enlightened on why it matters only for the
> > libraries? Also, is that still necessary? And lastly,
> should -D_REENTRANT be
> > always used or only if you have a library that uses threads (I guess
> > always...)
> >

> even if your lib is not threaded, it could be used by a
> threaded app.  It is
> important for applications because you do not know how the
> user will use your
> lib.  A maintainer of an application can easily tell if it
> uses threads and
> compile it accordingly.

So, let's say the package is build with --disable-threads. I should still
use -D_REENTRANT for the libraries since even though they don't use threads
themselves they may be used by applications that do use threads. And then I
should not use -D_REENTRANT for the applications themselves since
--disable-threads say they won't use threads. But if I build with
--enable-threads then I should use -D_REENTRANT everywhere, right?

YA