Re: NMU and ./configure

On 20000928T012303+0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> I couldn't see it in policy, which was why I weakened my original
> statement.

     If build-time dependencies are specified, it must be possible to build
     the package and produce working binaries on a system with the
     build-essential packages installed and satisfying the build-time
     relationships (including any implied relationships).  This means in
     particular that version clauses should be used rigorously in
     build-time relationships so that one cannot produce bad or
     inconsistently configured packages when the relationships are properly
     satisfied.
(Section 2.4.2)

That's meant to say what you wanted, perhaps the wording could be
improved.

 I was going to leave out the version clause, except I thought
> that it probably wasn't true: for instance, building a package with the
> slink version of debhelper will produce a package with documentation in
> /usr/doc, whereas building a package with the potato version of
> debhelper will produce a package with documentation in /usr/share/doc
> and the /usr/doc symlink.

In that case a versioned build-dependency to debhelper is appropriate.