NMU and ./configure

A few days ago I had to rebuild gimp1.1 from source to fix a little
bug that was stalling my work.  I noticed that since I have LPRng
installed on my system, ./configure came up with different settings
than the gimp binary in the archive was compiled with (specifically,
lpstat support was enabled in the print plugin).

Now it occurs to me that if I were to NMU this package (which I have
no intention of doing!), I will be uploading a binary package
significantly different from the one in the archive.  I imagine this
is the case for a great many packages that rely on ./configure and
having certain software installed (I don't expect gimp to build-depend
on lpr!).  Is there a solution to this problem?

-itai