Re: Request for advice

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 02:00:15PM -0400, Buddha Buck wrote:
>At 06:55 PM 8/29/00 +0100, Roger Burton West wrote:

>>IMHO one of the biggest advantages of Unix is that configuration files
>>are plain text
<snip>

>Is that a pro or a con for use of XML?  Since XML is a way of structuring
>plain text, and XML files can be edited with vi on a console attached to a
>9600 serial line, and needs no flashy GUI, it seems almost a non-sequitor
>-- or at the very least, a non-negative.

I haven't yet seen anyone editing XML with anything except a graphical
tool (text-editor plus fancy bits, usually).

I certainly find it easier to write with spaces-and-line-breaks than
to use XML. Others' opinions will differ, which is of course good.

--
Burnt to cold ashes and buried at a crossroads is *forever*. -- Tom Holt