Alternative lib dependencies

I'm new to this, so I need some advice...

I'm currently working on packaging Smurf (ITP posted to debian-devel), and
currently, it requires either libaudiofile or libsndfile. I was thinking
of giving the user a choice of whether to use libaudiofile or libsndfile;
but because the two interfaces are quite different, I'll have to build two
binary packages of Smurf for this. What should I call the two packages?

Or, more appropriately, *should* I even try to build two binary packages?
The upstream author highly suggests libsndfile; he says libaudiofile works
but he "won't code around its limitations". Should I just package it for
libsndfile and forget about libaudiofile?

Thanks...