Re: upload with name of sponsored person?

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Joop Stakenborg wrote:

> I am sponsoring drew parsons and would like to upload his packages
> with only his entry in the changelog. Is that possible?
>
> My guess is that the package will be rejected because he is not
> a debian maintainer yet........

Ah, finally something I know the answer to.  I've done quite a bit of
sponsoring of late, and have found that the following procedure works
best:

1)  Have the sponsee build the package, but don't have them sign
it.  (You'll just end up having to hand-edit .dsc and .changes to remove
their signature header and signature.)

2)  Have the sponsee send you a tarball of the build directory (or just
the files in the build directory).  They can use something like:

find . -maxdepth 1 -type f | tar cIvf /tmp/pkgtarball.tar.bz2 -T -

If you trust their key, have them sign the tarball itself.

3)  Extract the tarball into a directory on your box and perform your
normal checks.  (* What you should check is an entirely different topic.)
If you want to test a build, save a copy of the tarball for later.

4)  Use "debsign -m sponsor@debian.org *changes" to sign the package with
your key.  Then "dupload *changes".

The advantages to this method (over, say building the package yourself
from sources) are:

- bug reports, etc. go to the sponsee, because the control file has their
email address in it.  This helps them get the "real" maintainer
experience.  (One of my sponsees always add a line to the change record to
indicate who sponsored the upload.  This seems prudent in case there were
to be some problem later on.)

- libraries and dependencies get calculated on the sponsee's machine, so
the sponor doesn't necessarily have to have the same Debian release as the
package.

- it's less work for the sponsor than any other way I've tried.

I'm writing this sort of off-the-cuff while at work, so feel free to hit
me up with questions and comments.  If there is interest, I'll try to get
this typed up as a HOWTO of sorts.

Cheers!
tony

  tony@mancill.com     |  Time after time we lose sight of the way.