Adopting a Package

Hi everyone,
  I just adopted AfterStep, but ran into some problems with the
adoption process.  The previous AfterStep package packaged version
1.6.10, and the current (stable) version is 1.8.3.  So, after speaking
with the previous maintainer (a while ago) I packaged 1.8.3.
  When packaging 1.8.3, I ran into a few problems.  Namely, the fact
that the AfterStep source tree has changed so much since 1.6.10 that
most of the debian control files were useless.
  So, I just created a new package.  Should I have merged the
changelogs into one, and made the packages look similar?  I just
received a message from someone commenting (although, I don't know if
it was sarcastic or not) on the lack of a changelog for my AfterStep
package.
  Some thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Steven