Section of deb packages not in Debian

Hi, All. I have two questions about deb packages.

Suppose that I have made a deb package, but that it is not part of
Debian. Which section should I put it into so that it doesn't conflict
with existing sections?

For instance, should I put it into "Section: local/web" or should I put
it into "Section: web", without the "local" part?

Also, what is the correct procedure to deal with upgrades from upstream?
My patches won't apply correctly to the newer version of the software...
:-( Do I have to patch it by hand? Is there any automated way of
applying the patch and dealing with the rejects?

Please, any guidance will be very much appreciated!

							Thank you very much,
									Roberto.