Re: Find the display

Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> [...]
>
> BS> Is policy the one and only reason for wanting stuff? If this fixes what
> BS> I hope it does, the the "need" has an "or else you may need to hard
> BS> reset your machine because you can't even switch out of X" attached to
> BS> it.
>
> I need to restart sawfish, because sawfish crash each times a user upgrade
> sawfish. unstable is unstable...

No you need to fix that stupid sawfish. It should not crash on upgrade.

> [...]
>
> BS> Isn't there some kind of signal that sawfish interprets as "I need to
> BS> restart"? That would solve all problems.
>
> No, the only way is sawfish-client -f restart.

You can check what connections the running sawfish has open with lsof
(if that works). Look for /tmp/.X11-unix/???. ??? should then give you
the X server it's connected to.

The next thing to do would be to make sawfish-client -f restart query
the old running swafish for the display.

May the Source be with you.