Re: Lokking for a mentor for GOSSIP packages

Moin,
On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 02:51:52PM +0200, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to provide Debian packages for the parts of my GOSSIP project.
>
>     http://gossip.sourceforge.net
>
> GOSSIP is a set of packages for doing synchronous data-flow
> simulations on top of and beneath Guile.
>
> Debian is my favourite distribution, and I do want to learn hoe to
> produce DEB packages, but I it doesn't come easy to me.
>
> So, is anybody here interested in getting me started?  I would very
> much appreciate it when someone could create the initial debian/*
> files.  I think I can take it from there much more easily.
Did you already apply for maintainership? I think you will be assigned a
sponsor then.
If you just want to package your program, try dh_make from the dh-make
package. I use that for all my packages and its very neat. Unpack the
source, cd to the source directory, type dh_make and answer the questions.
You will get a debian directory and you have to edit rules (uncomment the
line with MAKE usually) and control (enter section, description) for a first
go. You should edit the changelog of course, but its not needed for a first
test.
Before releasing the package, you should read the maintainers manual, run
lintian over your package, test it, etc.
If you want to see how others do it, just download a few source packages and
read what they have done.

Good luck,
Christian