Re: Bugs against Helix package in Debian BTS

Christian, I've watched the exchange between you and others on the devel
list, and I have to say that you aren't seeming to listen to the feedback
you got so far about maintaining and the BTS.  I'm not surprised to see a
bugreport war starting.

1)  You chose to become a maintainer.  That implies that you are willing
to not only package something, but to act as Debian's contact for that
package with the upstream.  You chose that, and you need to accept the
responsibility.

2) Closing bugs is a serious thing.  It says that you have checked for the
bug, or gotten some form of acknowledgment that the bug is fixed (from
upstream maybe, or other users, or from checking it yourself...)  Closing
a bug without reading it?  If users can't trust that the bug IS fixed,
when you close it, you are hurting everyone: users, your own reputation,
and Debian's reputation too.

3)  Maybe packaging the Gnome stuff is a mistake for a new maintainer.
With Helix also packaging it, it's not something simple, it's got some
real issues, and it's still actively developed and buggy.

My recommendation would be maybe you need to rethink maintaining this
package.  If you stepped aside, I doubt anyone would be too hard on you,
since you are a new maintainer, it's not like you have a lot of experience
with this yet.  This was a big chunk to chew on.  Pick something smaller
to start with instead.

If you decide to continue, maybe it's time to acknowledge that yes, you
will get bugs against Helix's package... and maybe work with Peter to
coordinate and share bugs between the 2 or something.  Close the bug IF
and only if you can show the bug is gone, maybe a changelog from upstream,
or a changelog from Peter's package.  Then you would have some grounds to
complain about abuse of the BTS system from this user.

just my 2 cents from the crowd,
Seth