RE: GPG problem when building package

On 20-Jul-2000 John O Sullivan wrote:
> Hi,
> I've run into a problem near the end of building a package.
> When I run dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot I'm not asked for my GPG
> passphrase and I get this error message:
> gpg: skipped `John O Sullivan <jos@debian.org>': secret key not available
> gpg: [stdin]: clearsign failed: secret key not available
>
> The .deb, .diff.gz and other files are created though.
> I know nearly nothing about gpg so any help would be appreciated.

gpg is passed the name from the changelog entry.  If this is not the name on
your key, it wont work.

geisha [~/gdm2] $ gpg --edit-key shaleh@debian.org
Secret key is available.

pub  1024D/9EE16F1B  created: 1999-10-12 expires: never      trust: -/u
sub  2048g/5BF5DA52  created: 1999-10-12 expires: never
(1)  Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shaleh@debian.org>

note it lists my name as Sean 'Shaleh' Perry, that has to be what is in the
changelog.  you can alias one name to another.  All of this is explained on the
gnupg.org web site.