Re: Packaging a shared library

Ron Rademaker <ron@wep.tudelft.nl> writes:

> I'm making a debian package that contains 1 thing: a shared library, it
> the first thing I'm ever packaging. Now lintian gives an error that
> there's no shlibs, it also says stuff about it being intential and so. I
> think I don't need this shlibs, but I want to make sure. There's no binary
> that depends on the shared library and as far as I understood from the
> packaging manual that's what this shlibs is for, right?

IIRC, it's also needed for shlibs, since they depend also on other
shlibs.

> So my question now is: what should I do? Just ignore the error or make
> some kind of dummy shlibs? Or mail the lintian maintainer (like the error
> says)? Or am I wrong and do I need a shlibs after all, if yes: what should
> it look like??

Are you using debhelper? If yes it's quite easy to build a shlib
package, it should create the necessary shlibs file for
you. Unfortunatly, there is AFAIK no good tutorial on debhelper out
there, but you can just look at a simple library built with debhelper.

> PS. Could you cc to me when replying, I'm not subscribed to this list.

You should - it's quite low-traffic (<< 10% of debian-devel).

HTH, Andi
--
Andreas Rottmann   | Dru@ICQ     | 54523380@ICQ | a.rottmann@gmx.at
Pfeilgasse 4-6/725 | A-1080 Wien | Austria      | Europe