Re: Becoming Debian Developer without a package

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, andreas palsson wrote:

> This might sound a little strange.
> If I would like to become a debian developer, but I don't have any
> package and maybe I just want to "help" others by testing packages,
> fixing bugs and suppling patches to the original maintainers.
>
> Is this possible?
> I was browsing thru the docs, but I couldn't really find anything that
> made the above example impossible (or I just missed it).

This has been done, but in a different setting.  I became a maintainer
without a package at all.  Then again, I was working on a different port
compiling/porting software over and needed to be a maintainer to be able
to upload.  Just so happens that a coworker of mine at the time was
already a maintainer and helped me out with this.  I later adopted my
first package (binutils) and now maintain about five of them.

You may be better off applying for the testing team, IMO.  It probably
might be more suited towards your goals.