Re: dependency question

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Tom Cato Amundsen wrote:

> I am programming and packaging solfege,a python program for GNOME (in
> incoming rsn).
>
> Currently is depends on python-gnome (>=1.0.50) and python-gtk (0.6.6),
> since this versions worked just fine some weeks (months???) ago.
>
> Should I keep the Depends: line as short as possible, and only depend
> on python-gnome, since is it depends on python-gtk? This seems ok to
> me so I'll to it if nobody objects.

I can't see a reason why a Depends: line has to be as short as possible.
Especially if you need very new versions of python-gtk it's the best to
have this dependency seperately.

On the other hand: If you want to you can skip this dependency as long as
you can be sure that future versions of python-gnome will depend on
python-gtk.

> When setting what version python-gnome it depends on, should I use the
> last known version that works, and update debian/control when someone
> complains, and this way not forcing people to get the latest. Or should
> I set dependencies to whatever I use (=latest unstable package).
>
> (This is of course only a issue when packaging for unstable
> distribution)

It's very good if the dependencies of a package in unstable can be
satisfied within the frozen/stable distribution, but if you are afraid of
problems when a user has an older version of python-gnome you should let
your package depend on a newer version.

> Tom Cato

cu,
Adrian