dependency question

I am programming and packaging solfege,a python program for GNOME (in
incoming rsn).

Currently is depends on python-gnome (>=1.0.50) and python-gtk (0.6.6),
since this versions worked just fine some weeks (months???) ago.

Should I keep the Depends: line as short as possible, and only depend
on python-gnome, since is it depends on python-gtk? This seems ok to
me so I'll to it if nobody objects.

When setting what version python-gnome it depends on, should I use the
last known version that works, and update debian/control when someone
complains, and this way not forcing people to get the latest. Or should
I set dependencies to whatever I use (=latest unstable package).

(This is of course only a issue when packaging for unstable
distribution)

Tom Cato