Re: ITP: sndconfig (and sponsor wanted)

<bas@medeia.dhs.org> wrote:
>Thus spake Colin Watson (cjw44@flatline.org.uk):
>> It's good to see version 0.43 is packageable; I concluded that 0.38
>> wasn't because of the heavy dependency on kudzu.
>
>What's wrong with kudzu? sndconfig still depends on it, but is linked
>statically right now.

  DESCRIPTION
         kudzu detects and configures new and/or  changed  hardware
         on  a  system.   When  started,  kudzu detects the current
         hardware, and checks  it  against  a  database  stored  in
         /etc/kudzu.conf,  if one exists. It then determines if any
         hardware has been added or removed from the system. If so,
         it  gives the users the opportunity to configure any added
         hardware, and unconfigure any removed  hardware.  It  then
         updates the database in /etc/kudzu.conf.

kudzu's a complete hardware configuration system, and it deals with a
lot more than soundcards (e.g. network cards, SCSI, mice ...). I have a
vague memory that this caused problems for me and that I ended up
thinking that kudzu really needed to be packaged first (and that how
this would fit with boot-floppies would be interesting, etc.).

This is pretty unsubstantiated, really, though, as now the sndconfig I
compiled is segfaulting on me so I can't check how it behaves. A brief
look at the code suggests that it just uses kudzu to probe for PCI
devices, so you can probably safely ignore my wibblings unless it really
does go wrong. :)