Re: [boot-floppies] `mke2fs' and new Linux 2.2 ext2 features ?

karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:

>  I don't agree with this change.  I would rather it get asked always,
>  and that the default is for the button that enables the new features
>  and rejects Linux 2.0 compatability be highlighted by default, so
>  that pressing [Enter] will take that branch, [Tab][Enter] will turn
>  off the new filesystem features.  Perhaps the quiet flag would then
>  take the default of enable the new features.

I don't think this should be asked by default, since only experts will
care to diverge from the default (whatever we establish that the
reasonable default is).

>  What advantage are the new features?  What do they provide us with?
>  Do they make the filesystem more efficient?  What do they do?

Given that you can't even say what's the benefit of removing back
compatability, it seems to me that retaining back-compatability is
more desirable than removing it.