Re: shlib dependencies

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 03:04:59PM -0600, Zed Pobre wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 12:36:38PM -0500, Ben Darnell wrote:
> > I have a package which depends on libgl1.  On my machine, libgl1 is
> > provided by mesag3-glide2.  When I build the package, dpkg-shlibdeps
> > makes it depend on svgalibg1 as well, because mesag3-glide2 needs it.
> > This is inappropriate, since other packages which provide libgl1 do not
> > need svgalibg1.  How do I override this?
>
>     In the short term, you can add a debian/shlibs.local file to force
> a dependency on the virtual package libgl1 instead of mesag3-glide2.
> See the packaging manual, section 12.1.  Putting the following line in
> that file will probably take care of your problem:
>
> libGL 1 libgl1

No, that's not the problem:
% cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/mesag3-glide2.shlibs
libGL   1  libgl1
libGLU  1  libgl1

The package is correctly depending on libgl1 instead of mesag3-glide2.
The problem is that linking against the mesag3-glide2 version of
libGL.so.1 pulls in libvga.so.1, which causes the package to depend on
svgalibg1.  This is the behavior that I want to override.

-Ben

--
Ben Darnell              bgdarnel@unity.ncsu.edu
http://thoughtstream.org