Better way than Conflicts: ?

Hi,

 I have two binary pkgs (gom, gom-x) that both supply a binary for
"gom" via alternatives. The current version in slink is 0.29.10-n, the
new version for potato will be 0.29.103-n. Starting with 0.29.99, the
configuration file names and contents have changed significantly, so
versions <<0.29.99 ignore any configuration made for newer versions.

 The problem is, though unlikely, that one can update gom to the new
version, but not gom-x. This will be confusing, as per the binary
supplied via gom-x is the default alternative, and calling "gom" would
not respect the new configuaration.

 To fix this, I currently have a conflict defined for gom binary pkgs
>=0.29.99 on gom-x <<0.29.99. This, however, obviously has the
drawback that gom-x gets automatically removed when updating gom using
apt-get, although the right thing would be to update both gom and
gom-x to the new versions.

 I'd appreciate if anyone has a better idea how to solve this.

Thanks,

Stephan
--
s-Stephan A Suerken <inf222@fh-worms.de>