Re: ITP: libsdlmixer1.0

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 11:29:44AM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> You mean http://www.debian.org/~cts/sdlmixer1.0/
>  libsdl-mixer-dev_1.0.3-1_i386.deb
>  libsdl-mixer1.0_1.0.3-1_i386.deb

Yep, that would be fine.

> instead of http://www.debian.org/~cts/sdlmixer/
>  libsdl-mixer1.0-dev_1.0.3-1_i386.deb
>  libsdl-mixer1.0_1.0.3-1_i386.deb
> ?
>
> As I understand it, this implies if ever a new version (1.1, 1.2) should
> come out, it would no longer be possible to build new packages with the 1.0
> libraries only with the new one? This is desired? AFAIK gtk uses a different
> approach (even SDL, where SDL mixer is based uppon).

Yes, that's desired. There's rarely a good reason to build with an old
version. Usually, all packages using the library are recompiled and
the old one removed (-dev and library itself). If you want to continue
to support it, then make a seperate dev package later.

The advantage of not putting the version in the -dev name is automatic
upgrades to the latest development environment for developers, as Michael
said.

> The problem I see is similar to what we are having with ncurses5 right now.
> ncruses4-dev vanished, but some maintainers built packages with it. Can not
> be recompiled for other arches now... and its set in the Build-Depends, so
> this is a problem for porters... but then, the bug reports should urge the
> maintainers to switch :-)

ncurses4's dev stuff could reappear in a new -dev if it's really needed.
It's better to migrate the stuff to the new version.

Cheers
Hamish