Re: Changing the name of a package.

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 11:09:07PM +0100, Jordi wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 01:03:01PM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > well since it is so new, perhaps you should request it be removed
> > (release critical bug on ftp.debian.org) and upload a new package.
> > Realize that the new package will be treated as a completely new
> > package.
>
> Wow, but isn't that a bit drastic?  New packages freeze, and all... I
> guess this method would result in a 'nano for Woody'?  Any other method? I
> asked on IRC, a developer told me to mail the ftp admins about this. What
> can I do so nano is included on potato?

Well, IANADD(Y), but if the *only* reason for the name change was the
collision with the uucp 'tip', what the hey, keep calling the thing tip for
the time being. It isn't the uucp that gets shipped with debian -- at least,
as far as I can tell, from this uucp book I have here... so the namespace
conflict isn't visibile from within a debian system. Of course, we might end
up offending those from a bsd background, but...

I do kinda like the 'mail the ftp admins' idea. <shrug>

$0.002. (Will be $0.02 once I *am* a debian developer! Boy do I hope.. :)

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!