Re: how to package python module as shared lib??

tomcato@iname.com writes:

> I want to create a debian package of Solfege, my eartraing program
> written in python. I have one module written in C that maps some of the
> sound macros in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/soundcard.h
>
> Right now, the module is installed as
> 	/usr/lib/libsolfege.so

That would normally go somewhere like:

   /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/solfegemodule.so

which is where the standard Makefile.pre.in will put it.  You should
have a look at /usr/share/doc/python/README.maintainers, and maybe a
simple Python package like python-newt.

> From what the policy manual say about libraries it seems like I have to
> create all the different packages, but I'm not sure if python modules written
> in C counts as libraries.

This only applies to libraries that other packages migh want to link
against.  For example, the "newt" source package builds the whiptail
binary package containing just the program, and also the libnewt0 and
libnewt-dev packages, for other packages such as python-newt to use.

	       "This is where your sanity gives in..."