conffile location

I maintain the apt-move package, which has the single conffile
/etc/apt-move.conf.  Recently I've received a wishlist bugreport
(51507), plus a few private email requests from other individuals, to
have it moved under /etc/apt.  I certainly understand the reasoning
behind  the request, but if I understand the policy manual correctly it
requires that standalone conffiles be located directly in /etc.

I'd appreciate hearing your opinions on this... Am I being too strict
in my interpretation of policy?  Or is the current placement correct?

Thanx!