Re: How to handle multiple versions of binaries

On Sun, Dec 12, 1999 at 10:39:48AM -0800, ferret@phonewave.net wrote:

> I'm currently massaging out packaging details for a particular game
> server, and I'm not completely clear where I should place the ELF
> binaries. The server will be started via a customisable initialisation
> script and should not be manually started.
>
> The script to start the server by hand will go in /usr/bin/, and can also
> be started automatically at runlevel. I would like to place the ELF
> binaries under /usr/lib/<package>

/usr/lib/<package> seems to be the proper place.

> Also, I will be packaging up a minimal game dataset for the server, and I
> want to have a script the admin can use to copy it somewhere under
> /usr/local/games and customise it. Where should I install the sample
> dataset? The manual seems to indicate /usr/share/doc/<package>/examples,
> but that doesn't seem right to me in this case. My gut feeling is
> /usr/lib/<package>/<base dataset> because it isn't meant to be used before
> customisation.

If they are architecture independant (at package install time) then they
can go under /usr/share/<package>, else they should go under
/usr/lib/<package>.

`     bcollins@debian.org  -  collinbm@djj.state.va.us  -  bmc@visi.net    '