Re: SVGAlib suid binaries?

Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 10:56:21PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > Look at lincity. If I remember right it generates three packages:
> >
> > main, svga and X11.
> >
> > The svga and x11 package contain the binarie for svga and x11
> > respectivly, while main contains all comon files. The lincity-svga
> > is probaly setuid while the lincity-x11 is not.
>
> That's what I've done from the get-go.
>
> > If root doesn´t want anyone to play lxdoom-svga he won´t install it or
> > copy it somewhere else or change its permissions. The normal setup
> > should allow every user to play it.
>
> Instead of this, though, which could be a problem, I included a script, based
> on one in gnuplot, which will configure the suid bit-ness of lsdoom, the svgalib
> executable.

Hmm, I might file a bug against that. Interactive installation realy
sucks and it will bann lsdoom from my demo-fs packages as a possible
game to include. Patching it back to noninteractive is work. :(

If you have two binaries, make the svga setuid by default. Noone will
install it to not let the users use it.

In the case of gnuplot, there is only one binary, so you don´t have
the choise at the package level, so it must ask.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin