Re: SVGAlib suid binaries?

Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> writes:

> Is it permissable to create binaries, linked against svgalib,
> which are setuid/setgid root.root?
> The security paranoid system administrator in me says this is
> a big no-no, particularly when what I'm talking about is a game
> (lxdoom). But then, when you install lxdoom-svga, it's unusable
> except by root until it is setuid by root.
> What's the usual way to go about this?

Look at lincity. If I remember right it generates three packages:

main, svga and X11.

The svga and x11 package contain the binarie for svga and x11
respectivly, while main contains all comon files. The lincity-svga
is probaly setuid while the lincity-x11 is not.

If root doesn´t want anyone to play lxdoom-svga he won´t install it or
copy it somewhere else or change its permissions. The normal setup
should allow every user to play it.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin