Re: Multiple binaries => multiple packages ?

On Sun, Jul 25, 1999 at 10:04:15PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Gopal Narayanan writes:
> > Based on this, it seems to me that I should make 5 separate wrapper
> > packages, and force dependencies accordingly. Am I right?
>
> How about a single package with a postinst that figures out what binary the
> user needs and tells him what to get and how to get it?  If you are feeling
> ambitious you could have the postinst offer to get the binary.

Thanks. I was trying to avoid prompting the user as suggested by
Section 2.3.8 of the Policy Manual. But I think using wget to get the
tarball for the user might be a nice addition. However, wget is an
optional package. The tarball to be retrieved is an http url and not
an ftp one, so I can't use standard ftp get. Should the package wget
then be in Pre-depends or Depends? There is nothing in the policy
about dependencies on packages demanded by package maintainer
scripts. Is it okay to use dependencies based on maintainer scripts?

I will try the single package approach. I think I will reject the two
libc6 static binaries out of the five packages. Every debian machine
should have libc6 installed. I see no reason to download a static
binary.

Gopal.
Gopal Narayanan                          Ph #: (413) 545 0925
Five College Radio Astronomy Observatory Fax#: (413) 545 4223
University of Massachusetts              e-mail: gopal@fcrao1.phast.umass.edu
Amherst MA 01003