Re: How to install X?

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 09:57:21AM -0700, Dan Smith wrote:
> How do I install X?  What .debs do I need?

No .debs necessary.  Press the third key from the left on the second
row from the bottom on your keyboard.  Variants are also available;
look for keys on your keyboard labeled "shift", "control" (or "ctrl"),
and "alt".

(yes, I'm a smart aleck)

Seriously, debian-mentors is more for new maintainers.  Your question
is more appropriate in debian-user.

And, to answer your question after such pain, you should be able to
install X from your CD using "dselect".  At a minimum, you'll need
"xlib6g" (which is probably already installed), "xfree86-common", one
or more "xfonts" packages, and an "xserver" package for your video
card.  Oh, and a window manager; these are usually named with a "wm"
at the end, although several popular ones won't be.