Re: What happened to new-maintainer@debian.org

On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 02:07:04PM +0200, Norbert Nemec wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> does anybody know, why I do not get any response for my application to the
> above address? I sent the first application containing all the data ~4weeks
> ago, resent it ~2 weeks ago and sent another mail couple days ago, but I did
> not get any reaction. The mail did not bounce, so I suppose, the address is
> correct.
>
> I know those guys may be quite busy, but after taht time I would just like to
> know somebody read my mail.

Ok, first, do not EVER EVER resent your application. If you must, sent a mail
asking what's up. Second, take it easy, be a good boy :) and be ready to wait a
couple of months.

>From my experience: I sent my application ~3 months back and I've received a
mail saying that my application was going to be processed a couple of weeks
ago. Right now I'm just waiting to receive a phone call from James (I'm been
very busy these last weeks or I would give him a call).

OTOH, from what I've head around, one of the main reasons for this delay on
processing the applications (apart from the lack of time, of course) is that
everybody wants their application to be processed quickly, but then they don't
do nothing for a few months. In these cases, where's the rush?

I think that all wannabe developers should first start working on their
new/adopted/whatever packages, and only then send their applications.

In my personal case, I've got my packages gattering dust :) on my site. When I
became a Developer its just a matter of uploading to master.

--
Pedro Guerreiro                     (digito@bigfoot.com)
Diplomacy: the art of letting someone have your own way.