Re: Building from a source package

On Fri, May 14, 1999 at 09:21:46PM +1200, Alex King wrote:
> I have a feeling this may be a silly question, but here goes...
>
> How do I build a binary package from a debian source package?
>
> I have downloaded the source package, and unpacked it with dpkg-source, but
> how do I make the .deb from it?
>
> I need to recompile the package (samba) with a compile time setting changed
> (MAX_OPEN_CONNECTIONS).  This is really urgent, any tips greatly appreciated.

Two ways of doing it :

1. dpkg-source -x package.dsc
2. cd to package-version
3. dpkg-buildoackage -rsudo (or -rfakeroot, or whatever you use to gain root
		privilege, you could even do it as root, but it is not recomended).

add the flags -us -uc to not sign the package if you are not developper (which
		i guess you are not).

second way :

use the package dbuild, very nice, install it and then run :

dbuild package.dsc

and it will build the package for you.

There are certain option you have to set so the package don't get signed, but i
don't remember them so check the man page. you can also p[ut them in a .rc
file, so you don't have to rewrite them each time.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER