Re: /usr/bin or /usr/bin/X11

On Sat, Mar 20, 1999 at 10:16:30PM -0500, Will Lowe wrote:
> > whereas dh_make produced one that did this (from memory):
> > #!/bin/sh
> > if test -x /usr/bin/update-menus ; then update-menus ; fi
> > if test -x /usr/bin/update-menus ; then update-menus ; fi
> Whoa.  That's weird.
it's the program dh_installmenu that produces this, I'm pretty sure.
dh_make is seperate from the other dh_* suite of programs... just named in
the same format.

> > if debmake is deprecated and everyone should start using dh_make, why
> > does debmake's control file claim to conform to a newer
> > Standards-Version than dh_make (not to mention the buggy post{inst,rm}
> > scripts) ?
> I think that the general idea is to _not_ use dh_make (which is the
> debmake emulation mode) at all.  You've got much better control using the
> dh_*  scripts individually.  I don't know -- I don't remember what the
> original reason for the switch was ...
debmake is deprecated the same way emacs is deprecated, after all, we all
know VIM is the One True Way... ok, well, you get the idea.  I think
dh_make came about because debmake was out of date and the
author/maintainer missing or unresponsive...  Then someone reappeared to
take control of debmake and bring it up to speed....