conflict/replace/provide

Hi,

I was planning to take over xpm package (since Michael Dorman offered it),
convert it to debhelper, and rename binary packages to the usual names.

Okay, I managed to do everything in one afternoon :) and after I started
to hate some of the debhelper utilites because of their enormous stupidity :),
the package built successfully. Since the contents wasn't changed
(everything is exactly the same), I supposed it'll work as a drop-in
replacement for the old packages. Of course, it did not. :(
Here are the relevant fields from my libxpm4 package:

 Conflicts: xpm4.7 (<= 3.4j-0), xpm4 (<= 3.4j-0), xpm4g
 Replaces: xpm4g
 Provides: xpm4g

The two additional conflicts are leftovers, and I see no way they
could hurt. I had a brief look at xlib6-static vs. xslib6, and there
it was done the same, just without Provides: entry.

Here's what dpkg says:

joy:/usr/src/xpm# dpkg -i libxpm4_3.4j-1_i386.deb
dpkg: considering removing xpm4g in favour of libxpm4 ...
dpkg: no, cannot remove xpm4g (--auto-deconfigure will help):
 wmaker depends on xpm4g (>= 3.4j-0)
  xpm4g is to be removed.
dpkg: regarding libxpm4_3.4j-1_i386.deb containing libxpm4:
 libxpm4 conflicts with xpm4g
  xpm4g (version 3.4j-0.6) is installed.
dpkg: error processing libxpm4_3.4j-1_i386.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing libxpm4
 libxpm4_3.4j-1_i386.deb

Of course, uploading that didn't even cross my mind (maybe to experimental).
Especially because about hundred packages depend on the old xpm4g :)
In the meantime, the packages are at http://master.debian.org/~joy/.

If there is a fix, please tell me. If not, this is another cry
for help WRT dpkg :(