cross-dependencies on simultaneous build

Hello all

	I'm working on a new format for the GGI debs which will be extremely
more convenient, and will make it *much* easier to release new versions at
some developer's whim.
	Anyway, I'm using debhelper. The old approach was a large script
that placed all the debian/<package>/DEBIAN/* files correctly itself (and
did everything else manually for that matter).

	My problem is that I have a large slew of subdirs containing package
source that need to be built simultaneously, without stopping and installing
resulting debs for dependency satisfaction of future builds. My strategy at
accomplishing this has been to use a top-level script (./build-rel.sh) that
iterates among all the package directories; in each package's debian/rules,
on all commands that depend on libs from others in the queue, I explicitly
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to where those libs would reside.
	Now, this only makes ldd dump correct output. I then have a
shlibs.local for each package, stating what libraries ldd will spit back at
it as depends, and which package contains those.

	It seems to me debhelper isn't doing what it should. On the first
package of all, GII, I have the file debian/shlibs.local which contains:

libgii          0       libgii0
libgg           0       libgii0

Both of these libraries are in the same package. This makes the shlibs.local
file moot, but it's not even being placed. This *does* mean "the library
libgg.so.0 resides in package libgii0", correct?
	This particular build tree has libgii0 as the first package
mentioned in control; hence dh_installdeb should install shlibs.local to
tmp/DEBIAN. This isn't happening. I've checked. Or it it amalgated with the
shlibs file resulting from the dh_makeshlibs command?

Am I wrong? Is nothing at all happening here that shouldn't?

errors on dh_shlibdeps:

(please consider cut/paste into joe doesn't like to restore backticks)

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:wd/debian/tmp/usr/lib" dh_shlibdeps -a
dpkg:
/home/aaron/src/debian/ggi/990212/libgii-990212/debian/tmp/usr/lib/libgg.so.0
not found.
### This file *does* exist

dpkg:
/home/aaron/src/debian/ggi/990212/libgii-990212/debian/tmp/usr/lib/libgii.so.0
not found.
### This file *does* exist

dpkg: /home/aaron/src/debian/ggi/990212/libgii-990212/gii/.libs/libgii.so.0
not found.

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

Blessed is he who expects no gratitude, for he shall not be disappointed.
                -- W.C. Bennett