Re: Conventions for library naming

Samuel Tardieu wrote (1999-02-17, 21:54):

> In general, a "libxxxn" package provides support for library "xxx" with
> a major number of "n". That means that you can run programs that need such
> a library at execution time.
>
> Now, if you want to compile programs using this library (instead of just
> executing them), then you will need the package "libxxxn-dev" or "libxxx-dev".

Ooh, *that* was a mistake! I have now installed the gmp2-dev
package, but the script won't work, anyway: It looks for a file
named libgmp.so, while the file that is contained in the dev
package is called libgmp2.so.

It is easy to patch the script, but it would be better to know
where the error is: should the gmp2-dev package provide a
symlink named libgmp.so, or should the maintainers of the script
change it to also look for libgmp2.so? I mean, they require v. 2
of the library, so why don't they look for libgmp2.so?

    Marco

--
Marco Kuhlmann          Student der Computerlinguistik
                        marco.kuhlmann@gmx.de