Conventions for library naming

    Hello there.

My name is Marco Kuhlmann; I am intending to prepare several
Debian packages containing the Mozart Programming System (see
www.mozart-oz.org for further information). Being totally
unexperienced when it comes to packaging, I guess I am going to
appear quite often on this list in the future. So please, be
patient with me...

My first question concerns the naming convention for library
files. The project I am intendig to package makes use of a
configure script, which also checks for some library header
files and the libraries themselves. When the script reaches the
check for the gmp2 library, it fails in detecting the file on my
system -- although I have installed the gmp2 package.

I found out that the script checks for libgmp2.so, while the
deb-packaged version of gmp2 contains a libgmp2.so.2. Setting up
a symlink solves the problem, but I guess that is not the idea.
Now my question: Is it the script that is not well-written, or
is it the gmp2-package that does not set up links properly, or
what is it?

    Marco

--
Marco Kuhlmann          Student der Computerlinguistik
                        marco.kuhlmann@gmx.de