Re: Policy or Limitation

On Sun, 07 Feb 1999, Joey Hess wrote:
>Keita Maehara wrote:
>> But the reason is not mentioned here. Some upstream sources use upper
>> case letters for their name and we may also want to use upper case
>> letters for our packages. Why can't we use upper case letters?
>
>For consitency. It's much easier if you know a package's name is always
>lowercase, because then if you remember only the name you can find it
>easily w/o worrying about case. It's also easier to type.

What if we allowed upper-case in package names in "dpkg -l" but allowed
commands such as "dpkg --purge" to work if the capitalization is wrong
(therefore we can't have two packages whos names only differ by case).
These semantics of capitalization have worked well for email addresses...

--
I am in London and would like to meet any Linux users here.
I plan to work in London for 6 months and then I might move to some other