Re: Multi-binary source package

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Mark Brown wrote:

> I'm trying to split my MPICH package into several binary packages, and
> having a hard time seeing where I'm going.  Can someone reccomend a
> simple multi-binary package that I could look at to see what everything
> is supposed to look like - preferrably using debhelper?  I'm trying to
> move some of the man pages and a Java program out of the main package.

The debhelper pattern is described reasonably well in dh_movefiles.

Most library packages are good examples - I suspect that imlib use
debhelper, but I'm not sure of that.

> On a related subject, MPICH is a development package which provides
> bindings for languages other than C and wrapper scripts to compile those
> languages.  Would it be a good idea to move these out of the main
> package into language specific packages?  The resulting packages would
> be relatively small, but it would ensure that all the installed binaries
> actually work.  On the other hand, it would mean even more clutter in
> dselect.

Clutter is a non-argument, IMO.

On the other hand, there doesn't seem much point to me.  Just document the
fact briefly in README.Debian.  I.e: This package will compile programs in
languages X,Y, and Z.  To use X, you'll need the package X-compiler, .....

Jules