Re: dependencies problem

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 02:39:53PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> > First problem was that it has a 'plugin' for output, that
> > is a library, namely libOSS.so.0.9.0. It is kind of awkward,
> > because it is supposed to go into /usr/share
>
> Putting a library in /usr/share is completly and utterly wrong. You'll have
> to hack x11amp to put it somewhere reasonable like /usr/lib.

I wouldn't say changing a line in Makefile is hacking :)

> > So the building passes somehow. Then comes dpkg-shlibdeps. At first
> > it died with some message about not finding dependencies for that
> > libOSS thing. Of course, because libx11amp is not installed yet in
> > library paths, silly me. Then I put dh_makeshlibs before dh_shlibdeps
> > in debian/rules, and it worked, somehow.
> >
> > But that produced one other error. I installed the resulting .deb,
> > to make sure it's okay. It was, so I ran dpkg-buildpackage to do
> > everything for me. And it did, more than everything :) From the
> > x11amp.shlibs file made by dh_makeshlibs, it concluded that the
> > newly built libOSS depends on libx11amp, and libx11amp is in x11amp
> > package. And now my Depends: line contains x11amp :(
>
> Yes, this is a common problem if you build a package with both a shared
> library and binaries in it. It's pretty harmless, but ugly, to leave it how
> it is. Your other choices are:

Leave as it is? That would mean that noone who hasn't got x11amp
already installed can install this version. That is really really
inconvenient IMHO.

> 1. Split out the shared libraries into a proper library package. A good idea
>    if anything else is likely to use libx11amp.

That one crossed my mind, but I doubt it, since probably nothing will
use it.

> 2. Use a debian/shlibs.local, that makes dpkg-shlibdeps ignore the x11amp
>    dependancy. I think it'd look something like "libx11amp 1" but I'm not
>    sure... I'll be happy to grab your package and fiddle with it and figure
>    out the right thing if no-one else steps forward with a fix.

I have libfltk source here, and it has libfltk 0 libfltk0 in that
file. I'll try libx11amp 0 x11amp with X11Amp.

BTW is this documented somewhere?