Re: Which targets are mandatory in debian/rules?

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 06:22:39PM -0500, Mitch Blevins wrote:
> > >
> > > No, the build target should be present and should do something,
> > > i.e. build the package.  Even if it only depends on the two other
> > > build targets, it should still build stuff.
> >
> > It doesn't make sense to have the build target depend on build-a and
> > build-b because one of these builds would overwrite the other.
> > The only sane way to make the build target do something useful would
> > be for it to sequentially: build-a, install-a, build-b, install-b
> >
> > Is the packaging manual wrong?
>
> No, but you are probably not aware of the possibility to build in a
> subdirectory. GNU make supports a VPATH variable, which does that. Please
> refer to my other mail, where I spelled this out in detail.
>
> mkdir build-a
> cd build-a
> ../configure --with-gnome
> make
>
> works fine. This is the reason why you can have two builds at the same time
> without overwriting each other.

Actually Marcus's solution is far cleverer than mine.  Of course, mine
doesn't rely on the makefiles being VPATH happy (is that an issue?).

My solution simply involved 'build'ing into debian/tmp-a and debian/tmp-b,
and then binary creates debs from theses directories.

Jules