Re: Which targets are mandatory in debian/rules?

On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 06:22:39PM -0500, Mitch Blevins wrote:

> > No, the build target should be present and should do something,
> > i.e. build the package.  Even if it only depends on the two other
> > build targets, it should still build stuff.
>
> It doesn't make sense to have the build target depend on build-a and
> build-b because one of these builds would overwrite the other.
> The only sane way to make the build target do something useful would
> be for it to sequentially: build-a, install-a, build-b, install-b
>
> Is the packaging manual wrong?

No, but you are probably not aware of the possibility to build in a
subdirectory. GNU make supports a VPATH variable, which does that. Please
refer to my other mail, where I spelled this out in detail.

mkdir build-a
cd build-a
../configure --with-gnome
make

works fine. This is the reason why you can have two builds at the same time
without overwriting each other.

Marcus