Re: debhelper: dh_fixperms should come after dh_suidregister (was: Re: setgid stuff)

On Sun, Nov 28, 1999 at 09:42:41AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
>     Adam>        Also note that all files registered by this program
>     Adam> will *not* be suid in the resulting .deb file. The postinst
>     Adam> of the package will set their permissions (even if the user
>     Adam> doesn't have suidmanager installed).
>
>     Adam> dh_suidregister clears the bits after adding the proper
>     Adam> commands to the scripts.
>
> With all due respect, I think you misunderstood the problem.
>
> The problem here is that "dh_fixperms" runs *before* "dh_suidregister".
> This is how dh_make, from slink does it. I have heard potato
> might be that same.
>
> 1. dh_fixperms removes the setuid bit.
>
> 2. dh_suidregister fails to register the program, since the setuid
> bit was already removed. dh_suidregister cannot remove the
> suid bit, as it was already removed.
>
> This seems like a bug in dh_make. dh_fixperms should run after
> dh_suidregister, or not at all.

No, you can use this scheme, too:

dh_fixperms
chmod 2750 debian/tmp/whatever
dh_suidregister

What matters is how the permissions are before suidregister, not after.

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name