Re: problems with bindir/mandir

Jordi <jordi@sindominio.net> writes:

> --3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz
>
> Hello,
>
> Trying to build a package, aterm, following the maint-guide docs, I come to
> a problem, and although I have tried many possible solutions, the new .debs
> I produce seem to be worse than the previous.
>
> Following maint-guide instructions:
>
> I untar the sources onto /usr/local/src/aterm/aterm-0.3.6.
> The guide says I have to do configure and make to test if this works
> correctly. Is it necessary to run configure before running dh_make?
> If I don't, obviously I don't have a Makefile, as it is created by
> configure. What makefile should I edit, then, if configure isn't run?
> In the other hand, if I have to run configure and then edit the makefile,
> won't that makefile be erased when dpkg-buildpackage is run? So, where do I
> have to set the destdirs?

 This doesn't make much sense for me, but maybe this helps:

dh_make is (if anyway) only used once to great a basic initial source
tree. ./configure && make is a test if the source compiles in the 1st
place.

Normally, there is no need to edit any makefiles; if you have to, edit
the real sources (which might be Makefile.in).

> The problem with all of this is that the manpage is going into /usr/man and
> the binary into /usr/bin, and I want it to go to /usr/X11R6.
>
> sh_make creates a rules file with the following line:
>        ./configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=\$${prefix}/share/man
> Of course, I change that prefix to the one I want, but it seems to be
> ignored.

 Most likely, it is no standard automake makefile (check for
Makefile.am).  If so, some arguments to configure don't have effect on
the resulting Makefile. Imho, the only solution is to correct wrong
locations manually in debian/rules.

Hooe this helps,

Stephan
--