Re: Phone call to become debian maintainer

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Seth R Arnold wrote:

> Glenn -- I am not a maintainer, but the way I read it... the afterhours
> phone call is made from whoever is close to you. There are several
> developers in australia, so likely one of them would call you up to talk for
> a bit.

Not True. It has been suggested that this happen, but up til now, it has
been done by the two members of the New maintainer team.

> The reason why doing it over the phone is a good idea is that people have a
> harder time lying over the phone -- in person is the most difficult time to
> lie. The whole point of it isn't to ensure competancy, well, maybe it is,
> but also to prevent those who would rather the free software movement do
> poorly from joining the organization, where they might be able to do much
> more damage.

Essentially yes, but remember that it is also a measure of your attitude
as well. It also verifies that a _real_ person exists on the other end of
that phone number you gave.

                     Michael Beattie (mike@omnic.dhis.org)

            "Bother," said Pooh, as he was assimilated by the Borg.