Re: How to modify /etc/services?

If I am not mistaken, since it is a conffile for netstd, other packages are
forbidden from doing anything with it? I think the proper response is: get
Maintainer: Anthony Towns <ajt@debian.org> to include your service in
/etc/services, then your package depends on a specific version of netstd.

[how did I do? :]

As for an actual method, probably making a tmp file of what you would like
to add to it, copying the existing one someplace, then catting the two of
them back together to /etc/services.