debian & UPS support

Can somebody point me to info on how debian cooperates with UPS? (rtfm is
ok) I'd also welcome response from the person who takes care of debian
<-> ups functionality (if there is one).

There are several packages for ups monitoring, none of which seems
satisfying to me, so I started packaging another one (smartupstools, now
supporting 5 different ups brands).

When the battery power gets low, system has to go down, and just before
halt a power-off command to the ups should be issued. That means modifying
rc scripts, so I wonder if there is some universal policy, or every ups
package just does it on its own.

I'm curious because the standard rc0.d/S90halt script refers to ups:

#! /bin/sh
# halt          Execute the halt command.
# Version:      @(#)halt  2.75  19-May-1998  miquels@cistron.nl
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
# See if we need to cut the power.
if [ -x /etc/init.d/ups-monitor ]
then
        /etc/init.d/ups-monitor poweroff
fi
halt -d -f -i -p

(please correct me if this should go to other list)

--
jozef  :-)