Re: Depends generated by maintainer scripts

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 10:54:00PM -0400, Gopal Narayanan wrote:
> the process of getting the binary from the official site.  I have that
> working using wget in the postinst script. However that means that
> setiathome has to be made dependent on wget. At a later point of time,
> if the user wants to remove wget, he/she would have to remove
> setiathome first or use dpkg exceptions to remove wget.
You could simply "sugest" (or even recommend) wget instead of the
heavy-handed "depend", and give the user a message and tell them to download
the tarball and put it in /tmp if they don't have wget.  This would probably
work fairly well -- though I'm not certian if you'd get the ordering you
want if wget and dpkg are installed in the same {apt,dpkg} run.

	-=- James Mastros
--
True mastery is knowing enough to BS the rest.